Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Day one-Departure

July 9, 2017

First day of People of the Big River. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Excited to be learning something new and experiencing new things. I’m nervous because I have not gone camping in 14 years. Yeah, it’s been awhile. Am I going to remember anything about camping?

I arrived about 7:30 am.  If my husband had it his way, I would have been there at 5 am. But that is due to other family obligations, such as my son playing in a 3 on 3 tournament in the Tri-Cities. When I arrived at campus, I met Alexis first, because she was the first to arrive, and afterwards people slowly started rolling in. Once all were there, we were given our sleeping bags, tents, backpacks, water sacks, and laundry bags. We made our lunch and proceeded to eat it. I hope I don’t get hungry on the way to our destination, considering I ate my lunch before we hit the road. I was exhausted after waiting to depart for our road trip to the Deschutes National Forest. Which means, I slept on the ride to. Although we did make a few stops, and I was able to buy myself and two of my classmates a Starbucks drink. That was a tremendous boost to my energy. To bide my time, I continued reading my book and checking out the scenery to the campsite.
At the campsite, we then scouted out areas to set up camp. I roomed with Diana Picasso. Together we decided to set up with the other Heritage University students. Best to stay close rather than alone.

In summary, the first day was long and exhausting. But well worth it when we finally arrived at camp. First day down, hope tomorrow is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment