Saturday, July 15, 2017

Day Five-Umatilla Native Plant Nursery

July 13, 2017-Umatilla Native Plant Nursery

Our day began in the Nixyaawii Governance Center. Wenix did a presentation the Umatilla Tribe presents to visitors on First Foods. I think it is fascinating how the Umatilla’s and the Yakama’s traditions and language resemble each other.
After the presentation, we went down the road to the Umatilla Native Plant Nursery, and met Gail Red Bird. We were shown their nursery with native plants they are growing from seedlings to maturity to plant out in the field. Gail explained the purpose of their nursery as “The goal is to teach the plants to seek out water, in order to survive”. When she explained the difference of watering from above and below, it made more sense. If the plants are watered only from the top they will not seek out water, but expect it. Whereas when they are watered from below, they will seek it out.  Thoughts of the possibilities of what our tribe could implement are running through my mind and how AIBL of HU can use this to help promote environmental science with business.
We then were pruning some trees that needed to be moved outside to get more sun and air. This was scary at first, trying to figure out what to cut and what to leave. Since, I did prune a few trees, I began cleaning the top of the soil, removing the dead leaves and weeds that began growing inside the pot with the tree. I also helped set the pruned plants on the wagon, to be moved outside. I also began to move the unpruned trees so those that were pruning could just prune without having to move to the unpruned trees. Then lastly, I began picking up the limbs and leaves off the floor to prevent time spent on cleaning up afterwards. The high school kids were a bit apprehensive to step in and get dirty, after a bit of coaxing, they began doing more jobs and we finished by 11:50 am. We broke for lunch, then Diana and I realized the van was not there and we had no lunch.
Our next job consisted of transplanting seedlings to bigger cups to encourage further growth for their journey onto the next step in their life in the nursery. This job takes patience and steadiness so as not to rip the seedlings roots, and to ensure proper placement into the bigger cups. I was unsure as to whether I could do this job or not, but I found I enjoyed it. Pulling the seedlings and seeing how tiny they are conveyed to me the evolving beauty life in general. We begin, we grow, and the stages of growth are never really seen, until one stops and becomes mesmerized by the transition of it all. 
We then went outside to help clear out the big cups that held the previous seedlings. To the staff’s amazement everyone had fun with this job. Diana and I came in and we helped Taylor finish his flat of cones to empty. I would call this a stress reducer as you are banging the cup to empty it of the dirt.
Our last job was to go to the office and eat ice cream. This was a nice treat for being in the hot sun. While waiting, Diana and I had the opportunity to laugh with Marie Davis. I learned she is a year younger than my Mother would have been plus, she and I share the same birthday. I consider this a sign that my Mother was there with me.


We arrived to camp, and had the pleasure to be shown how to create our own glass plate. Loveda Red Elk, divided us into groups of three to chose our patterns, colors, and our creativity to design our plates. This experience was fun, relaxing and engaging. I enjoyed dipping into the creative side of my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment