Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Day Three, North Twin Lake & Sparks Lake

July 11, 2017

What a day!! Our first stop today was at North Twin Lake, working with the trail crew. We climbed a trail which started with an incline of eight when compared to a treadmill. Yeah…I about died. As we trekked on, I regained my momentum and had the opportunity to use a Pulaski for the first time in my life. I have heard of them and have seen them, but have never had the chance to use one. As I was chopping at a limb, Cristy was giving me directions on my form, and I asked her “oh like chopping wood?” Michael replied, “it is chopping wood”. Oh well yeah, when you put it that way, but I was thinking of wood in terms of firewood. We all had a good laugh. I also got the opportunity to saw a downed tree, to help get it out of the pathway. Another first for me to cross off my bucket list.

We then traveled across to Sparks Lake where we worked with Tom Walker, a fish biologist, we had the opportunity to help in the stream restoration. We found logs and moved them in a dried up known creek bed to assist with the redirection of leading the water towards the meadow. We then searched for more logs and bushes to set along next to the willows to prevent deer from eating them before they can mature. Our final work orders were to place big logs across the creek to assist the fish and other water species making their journey through the creek. The stream restoration reminded me of when I used to play by the streams as a young child. Which is why I then asked Tom what a fish biologist does, and he explained everything we had just done is what a fish biologist does. I thought fish biologists worked with fish. He laughed and said he is a fish biologist that works in the land management area of fish biology.



I think I may change my major? I will think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment