Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Day Ten-Fisheries and Wildlife

July 17, 2017

Today, we got to go out in the field, to shock, catch, tag, measure, and weigh red band trout. We were given waders to wear to prevent us from getting shocked. I guess I was a lucky one, because I got thigh high waders. Which meant as soon as I stepped in the water, where it was higher than the thigh high waders, water came seeping in and I began trudging through the water, with water in my boots. I was lucky that I did not get shocked while they were shocking the fish.
I grabbed a net to catch fish, and I missed the first one on my first try. On my second try, I caught two red band trout!! I took a break after this, to give others an opportunity to catch fish too. To better see the fish, I took my sunglasses off and then ended up losing them. I walked through the stream and the deepest water I walked in, was waist high We were waling alongside the creek and came upon clay. We asked Joel to grab us some extra so we could use as a mask.  I considered walking through the stream and catching fish more fun than swimming. We got to as far as the fish technician, Bubba, said we were going to go. We then waited for Casey to catch up and she finished cutting, measuring, weighing, and tagging the fish. At the final count we had caught 28 red band trout and numerous brown and bottom feeders. We walked back to the vans and drove to the site where we were supposed to meet the other group. While we waited, we ate lunch and some of the group jumped into the water. After lunch, Bubba and Casey decided we could go down creek and trek back up to the lunch site and try to catch the last four we needed to catch. We caught our last fish right at the lunch site and from there it was decided to go back to camp. We weren’t sure if the other group was there or still out in the field. We got back to camp, and the other group was nowhere to be found.






I really enjoyed this day. Being in the water and catching fish was fun. This makes me want to go back and work for our fisheries program. Still on the fence thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment