Saturday, July 22, 2017

Day Thirteen-Kamiak Park and Julyamsh Powwow

July 21, 2017

OMG!!! I had a rude awakening at 3 a.m. this morning. All I heard was a loud thud of, what I assumed were rolling rocks and Robyn screaming. Once I realized it sounded like rocks rolling down the hill, I screamed and took cover inside my sleeping bag. I was not able to go back to sleep until 4 a.m. I was terrified and scared I was going to get smashed by rolling rocks and debris. The noise turned out to be a deer running straight down the hill above our tents. I could hear the deer breathing loud and running around the lake. My imagination began to take over and I was thinking the deer had to be running from something, but what? My first thought was a wolf or a bear, then I thought of bigfoot, too scary. Then about 15 minutes later a coyote or a wolf howled, I was thinking a wolf, because the howl was long and loud, unlike a coyote. At least that is what I think.  I was even more scared after the way my imagination began to run, I stayed awake until about 4 a.m. Diana and I were supposed to get up and hike up the same hill the deer came down, but I was thinking of telling Diana I was not going hiking up that hill. Thankfully she didn’t get up and we did not hike up the hill. When it was time to get up, Jessica had informed us the tent had a hole in it.
Our first activity for the day was to check on our traps. Not one group caught a mouse. Pedro said we will leave them until tomorrow and check back in the morning. I was wondering if the peanut butter from the mouse traps lured the deer closer to our campsite. We will never know.
After breakfast, we went to Kamiak Park, where we met Landon Charlo, a Washington State University student working to obtain his master’s degree in Forest Ecology. His research is on the Pileated Woodpecker, through Snohomish County. They need to study this species for 100 years. He said he is completing the first step, which is the environmental impact of the Pileated Woodpecker. For his part in the research he is using the indirect method which is non-tagging and hidden cameras to snap pictures. It is for this reason, he has not seen the Pileated Woodpecker up close and personal. He said the second step in the research will utilize the direct method which is the tagging of the birds. He said he will not take part in the next step of the research because he will be working to obtain his PHD.
After introductions, he discussed the factor influence of site one, such as the elevation, the slope, the position of the slope, partially protected/fully exposed, high organic matters/low organic matters, weather conditions, average overstory canopy cover, and PAR (photosynthetically active radiation).
Once finished discussing site one, we hiked two miles up the hill to site two. I barely made the climb. I am so out of shape. I carried my camera and took pictures on the way up and on the way down.



I was excited to get to the Wellness Center because we were getting cleaned up to head to the Julyamsh powwow. This was my first time being at this powwow, as I do not travel to powwows. I bought a pair of earrings and a couple of things for my kids. We got to watch the grand entry, it was a beautiful sight to see all those dancers in their regalia. I only wished we could have stayed longer to watch a part of the competition and take part in the inter-tribal dance. I was happy for those in the group that had never been to a powwow, they had the opportunity to eat an Indian Taco, watch the grand entry, and shop at the stands. All in all it was a good day, other than almost getting trampled by a deer while I was sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment