Saturday, July 15, 2017

Day Six-Jubilee Lake

July 14, 2017-Day Six Jubilee Lake

Wenix took us to a spot on the river that leads to the Columbia River, where we met Michael McCloud, a fish technician II. He explained how important river/stream restoration is for the fish to complete their life cycle. He then explained about how to put fish on a stick to cook over a fire and Wenix invited him to our feast this evening to show everyone what he was talking about and to demonstrate for us how it is done.
We continued onto Jubilee Lake, where Wenix showed us the berries, explained the different type of berries there are, and how the Forest Service is now working to clean up the debris on the ground of the forest to further prevent forest fires.
Once that was complete, we then headed to the lake. Diana and I took a hike along half of the lake. It was exhilarating. The lake was beautiful, the only thing I did was get my shirt wet. I did not feel like swimming today.
Our next adventure, was YOGA!!! Diana and I have found our new workout gig. I have done yoga once. It was refreshing. I loved it!!! I plan on implementing yoga in my daily life.



Tonight we had a feast at the Red Elks. The food was delicious. I had a plate full of food and had no time for seconds as I needed to go shower. I learned how to make the fry bread dough with oil, to prevent changing the oil because it is dirty. It was also my first time eating xawsh, native root to the Umatilla area. I never knew what I had been missing out on all these years. I would always hear my Mother and my Aunt talk about going to Pendleton to dig xawsh. Now I know to request to go with my Aunt when she goes to dig for this root.

No comments:

Post a Comment